How To Use Castor Oil Packs for Fibroids
- You need high quality castor oil (organic and cold pressed) which is obtained from the castor seed (Ricinus communis) through the process of cold pressing to ensure that there are no contaminants such as pesticides or other toxic agents. It is even better if the labeling indicates that organically grown seeds were used.
- You will also need an unbleached piece of flannel cloth that when folded 3 times can adequately cover the stomach and liver areas. Or alternatively you can get 3 separate large flannel pieces that you can combine to use in the pack.
- A heating pad or hot water bottle. The heat is thought to allow better absorption of the oil through the skin.
- Plastic wrap.
- Old towel or towels
Application of Castor Oil Packs For Fibroids
- Saturate the 3 layers of the flannel cloth with castor oil. Ensure that the flannel is saturated but not dripping with oil.
- Lie flat on your back and elevate you feet. This can be done by simply placing some pillows underneath your knees and feet.
- Place the soaked flannel cloth on your abdomen.
- Cover with the plastic wrap.
- Place the heating pack or hot water bottle on top of the plastic wrap.
- Cover with the old towel to insulate the heat.
- Use the pack for 45 to 60 minutes
IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER
- This entire process can be messy as the castor oil is very thick so you may need additional old towels and T-shirts to place underneath you. Castor oil can stain so keep the items used separate from your other good clothing and belongings.
- Start off using the pack for four consecutive days per week and resting for the rest of the week and increase if desired.
- The science behind using castor oil is little to none so there is no guidance on how long you should use castor oil packs. However, you should probably be able to tell within two to four weeks whether you are getting any benefits or not and then continue or discontinue use.
- If you are trying to conceive, do not use castor oil packs as the heat applied is not ideal when trying to get pregnant.
- Avoid use during menstruation.